Ok, here are some pictures, the troops are in their basic colors now, except for putting the metallic overcoat.
This is your new blog post. Click here and start typing, or drag in elements from the top bar.
Except for the poor melta guys, they still need some more work.
Well, at least the melta guys shoulders are done...
This is what the weapons will look like before any further detailing I decide to do.
The model on the right has the plain white finish, the ones to the left have the metallic finish.
Upon the advice of my wife (who is the real painter in the family), I'm trying something different. Instead of using a final coat of flat white, I'm using a metallic white which gives a shiny and faintly silvery sheen to the shoulders. It does look like I've been a bit sloppy depending on how the light hits it because the reflection looks like the black is burning through, which I know it isn't. So far I have over half the shoulders done and will be doing a bit more tonight. Good Lord willing and if I remember, I'm going to take some pictures to post up here on this look tomorrow. Just need to finish the shoulders and touch up the weapons and some other details to get everything I've assembled up to the same level. After that, it will be working on detailing the various colors one by one. I'll probably start with red since I know the eyes are going to be that color.
I might have to extend the completion date to the 4th of February, I think I just got tapped for something on the 29th of January.
Also picked up a few items today towards the 1.5k and 2k lists I'm work
I took yesterday off. Little issue of finishing putting together electric vehicle for my six year old. Which I found out at midnight on Christmas Eve required 18 hours of charging before it could be run. So, I just retaped the box and put it in place. Fortunately this was covered because when he asked why Santa hadn't built it so it was ready to go, I could point to a couple of bad patches in the last couple of days plus he was going to go see the wife's dad and grandmother yesterday and spend the night. Now all that is left is the last of the stickers.
All but 10 of the shoulder pads are second coated, ready for final coat. I should be able to get them tomorrow and then it is on to final coats for shoulders and metallic highlights on weapons and tidbits. It may seem odd, but I'm using a metallic white enamel that as with some thinning gives me shiny white on the shoulders. With a little extra water (dipping the brush does it) on top of the flat black I lose the white and end up with a silvery, steely metallic shine. Amusing, it will look black in places when the light shines on it just right, like I missed a spot, but when you pick it up, it is all that faint metal color.
Might not work out in the end, but easy enough to fix.
Minor rant: WTF is GW sniffing? There are NO multimelta arms in the Dreadnought kits except for AoBR. And it doesn't fit any other DN. So, I have to get some bits from Forgeworld now. GAH!
Bunch of loose right shoulders and all five Neophytes ready for final coat of white shoulders. Left shoulders are from the Black Templar upgrade kit and a bit of a pain to detail in, but I figure it will be worth it in the end. Biggest problem is that I can only do about 5-6 of the fancy shoulders before I start zoning out and getting sloppy. I might be able to change that, but I'll try that another day. So, I have 6 of the Templar (right) shoulders with their first coat and I'll try to work on a few more after I get done with some Christmas Eve running around.
I'm thinking that is going to change up my schedule, instead of mass production in a fell swoop, detailing is going to have to take about 2-3 one hour sessions every day to get through it.