Plain Autocannon Predator (no sponsons)
6x Berserker squads of eight CSMs with a Power Fist in each, Fearless & Furious Assault.
All the vehicles were demon possessed I think.
Venerable Dreadnought (TLLC/HF/DCCW, EA, Tank Hunter) in Drop Pod with Deathwind Missile Launcher.*
2x Terminator (2xCyclone ML/Storm Bolter/Power Fist, 2xSB/PF, 1x SB/CF, Tank Hunter)
3x Crusader (5/1, Melta) In Pod w/ SB, one Squad has Bolters, two havet BP/CCW
2x Crusader (5/1, Melta, PF) In Pod w/ SB, one Squad has Bolters, the other BP/CCW
3x Land Speeder Typhoon Squadrons of 2x LS-Ty (Heavy Bolter/Typhoon ML)
* Deathwind in the Dreadnought Pod is just because I had 20 points left over and didn't have any more models left to easily work in.
This one worked a bit better, but as we will see, too many other threats were offered and the 48" range allowed terrain screening to assist in reducing the shots at him, so that the muchly honored Venerable Knight managed to hold on and do a bit of damage.
I lost the roll again, so I got the privilege of going first. So, the deployment. I decided to put both Terminators, all the Speeders and the Venerable one on the table (his Pod was dropped empty). The enemy deployed as shown.
Profitable shooting. I came in today with the purpose of putting the Speeders (at least) on the field to snipe and pop transports as early and often as possible. Results:
3 Rhinos exploded (five Berserkers dead in the process), 1 Rhino wrecked and since I had a flank shot and the only one unobscured from the right hand Speeders, the Predator was wrecked.
Oh yes, there was a bit of a hot hand on the dice I'd just bought before the game (I'd lost my can of dice somewhere!). I got an excellent Alpha Strike off on turn 1 with six units managing to destroy five vehicles. Granted that there were a lot of shots going out and the Predator was killed by losing its weapon, being immobilized and then hit again by a Speeder squadron on the flank armor after the Rhino next to it exploded and one of the Rhino's wrecked was a set of three glancing hits from heavy bolters which came up 5s & 6s on the damage table to cause the wreck.
The first (BP/CCW) by the Vindicators as a suicide melta squad and to use their bodies and pod as speed bumps. IIt shifted to the right a little.
The second (BP/CCW/PF) dropped inbetween the center hill and the hill where the left hand Terminator squad was to hold that flank down. No scatter.
The third (Bolter/PF) dropped in front of the Terminators on the right to provide support/bubble wrap for when I moved the Dreadnought up. Both were to screen the Terminators from the two Rhinos full of Berserkers plus a foot squad coming in.
The rest of the movements are detailed in the captions. Shooting was good again. On the left, the last Cyclone Terminator, suicide melta and left Speeders managed to immmobilized the right hand Vindicator. On the right the Dreadnought wrecked one Rhino and then the killing began. Massed frag missiles, storm bolter and heavy bolter fire rained down on the three exposed squads around Kharn's Rhino. They were packed in tightly and in the end 13 CSMs were down, including the entire squad from the newly wrecked Rhino.
CSM: Vindicator immobilized, Predator wrecked, 2 Rhinos wrecked, 3 Rhinos exploded and 18 of 48 Berserkers dead.
BT: Venerable DN wrecked, Pod exploded, Pod lost weapon, 4 Terminators and 1(!!!) Initiate dead.
Two of my three remaining Pods dropped in, the other bolter squad and the DN empty pod.
1) Not dropping in their face piecemeal so they have easy pieces to make a meal on works well.
2) Range and Torrent of Fire with missiles rule.
3) I got my arse kicked, but it really was a whole lot more fun to come down in a firestorm of Deathwinds and close quarters firefight. You know, if GW happens to include my two big wishes in the new codex, I'm going to be a happy camper. Assault out of pods and RZ into close combat. Be still my heart!
4) I'd rather pay for 2x Tank Hunting Cyclone Terminator Squads than 3x MM/HF, EA Dreadnoughts. More survivable and a lot more firepower.
5) I need more Speeders! And I hate putting those things together. For trivia, I got a deal on a cheap Speeder kit and it ended up being an old(?) one with the side panels attached to the top. If that thing is easier to assemble, I'm going to be seriously irked at GW.